Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Some Lovely Comments From Our Visitors!

Ladies and gentlemen, as most of you know, one of the primary motivations in the establishment of the Made In New Orleans blog was the desire to interact on a regular basis with you, our fellow lovers of New Orleans and its Traditional Jazz. Today, we thought we'd take a moment and share a couple of the nice stories that have been recently shared by our visitors.

Jennifer Broady Zolkos said...
I visited Preservation Hall last spring for the first time. I have always loved New Orleans Jazz and had listened to many of the albums in my home in New England with a bad case of Southern envy. I automatically fell in love with the city and the culture of New Orleans. The endearing people in the quarter, the beautiful architecture, the food and of course the toe tapping joy that is New Orleans made music. I went into club after club listening to the fine music and thinking if it only could be like this at home.
If you are an artist of any kind it would be hard not to find a muse in NOLA. I had always loved the music that came from the Preservation Hall and wondered if it was really like the legend it has become. I literally walked by it the first time. I immediately smiled as I knew by
the look that it had not been commercialized and I began to feel the excitement of what would lie ahead in the evening. When I came back that night, to my astonishment there was a line that spanned many blocks with all walks of life just sitting waiting for their chance to hear the music.
It was great to see children and people of all ages and backgrounds patiently waiting in the queue outside on a balmy hot night. When it was finally my turn I walked through the gates and stepped inside. It was dark, too dark to make out the faces of the audience. We were crammed in the back of the seats facing the musicians. There were a couple of ambient lights lit and then the music began. I felt something come over me I tell you. In the middle of the music the trumpet player put his instrument down and began to sing. Tears streamed down my cheeks without warning. It was true beauty. I will never forget that moment in my life and I am truly thankful that I had a chance to experience such a magical musical moment.
I will return someday to sit and listen but I am happy to play my records at home and smile when I think of the beloved French Quarter of New Orleans and the beautiful musicians that created a unique part of our culture.
August 28, 2009 10:29 AM

sarah evanko said...
Hello, Preservation Hall... i would like to share with all my last visit to your music temple. We were in town for the Krewe of Little Rascales parade and seeing as we had the kids we were looking for a family friendly palce to soak up the toons in NOLA.... so of course besides the out door cafes it's no where but P.H...
Anyway we saw 21Jazz band at the first toot of the tuba my 4 year old fell asleep .. a deep deep sleep that nothing , not the tuba or the trumpet ,or me and her dad passing her back and fourth when our arms felt numb not even the percussionist could wake her... But somehow that jazz crept in her little ears because about every other song she'd clap along with everyone else, she was sleeping but she was clapping. it is something i will never forget. we had such a great time. Music never feels as good anywhere else but here. Can't wait to come back in october.. hopefully we can keep her up for the show this time... i mean she is 5 now she should be able to handle it.... See ya than...
August 22, 2009 2:16 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks!
If you've got a story you'd like to share about a special experience you've had at Preservation Hall, or with the music of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, feel free to leave us comments at any time. Every once in a while, we'll make sure to round them up and share them with the world.

Everything's Lovely!
~Preservation Hall

No comments: